Question regarding dynamic updates

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Oct 2 15:45:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 02:59:32PM -0400, Mike Diggins wrote:
> My DNS environment (BIND) consists of a Master Name Server which is
> updated via a Database. A web page allows for changes, which updates the
> database, and periodically the database is dumped out to zone files for
> named, which are read and propagated to my slaves via regular zone
> transfers.
>
> My question is about transitioning to Dynamic updates, which I am not yet
> allowing. We have a number of zones, all updated through the Web interface
> I describe above. What happens if I want a client to be able to update one
> of those zones dynamically, while still updating all the static entries in
> the same zone, via the Web/Database and zone transfers? Is that even
> possible to update a zone this way, and allow dynamic updates? I can't
> seem to wrap my head around that. Can someone straighten me out?

It is certainly possible to have both static and dynamic entries in the
same zone.  But I believe it's generally considered a better idea to put
all of your dynamic entries in a separate zone - perhaps a subdomain of
the main domain.  It's certainly cleaner, ISTM.

--
Joe Yao
Qinetiq NA / Analex Contractor