so many "denied recursion for query from" messages for CNAME domain,why?

MontyRee chulmin2 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:24:08 UTC 2008

Hello, all.

I have operated bind 8.x for authorative for some domain.
the domain is CNAME like this at that dns server

www.test.example.com         IN  CNAME        www.xyz.test.example.com.
www.xyz.test.example.com.  IN      A             192.168.151.234

But I can see lots of messages like below(about 3~5% of the total query)

Oct  6 19:40:26 ns named[29298]: denied recursion for query from [121.xx.xx.x].33244 for www.test.example.com IN

and when I test using dig, above  "denied recursion for query from " messages occur
only that doesn't answer using A record(only CNAME)

a)
www.test.example.com         IN  CNAME        www.xyz.test.example.com.
www.xyz.test.example.com.  IN      A             192.168.151.234

b)
www.test.example.com         IN  CNAME        www.xyz.test.example.com.

I would like to know when the dns answers a(95%) or b(5%)?
and the client get an answer b), what would be happen?
is there any problem or not?

Thanks for your help.