primary/secondary configuration

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 10 00:40:52 UTC 2008

In article <gclue6$tvp$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Barbara Nowak <basiamnowak at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to configure 2 nameserver but it not easy.
> Network looks like this:
>
> Public_IP1  ->Firewall/Router:DMZ -> 192.168.0.1
> Public_IP2  ->Firewall/Router:DMZ -> 192.168.0.100
>
> now I have domain DOMAIN.COM with registered Nameservers NS1 i NS2 with above
> Public_IP[1|2].
>
> Above Firewall/Router have 2 another networks connected to other ports:
> 192.168.1.x/24 and 192.168.2.x/24
>
> All networks are visible to others.
>
> Now I need configure primary nameserver. I've created 2 ZONE files for local
> and for public access. In named.conf simly use "views". Its seems to be easy.
> But how I sould configure slave nameverver to receive NOTIFY from primary for
> both zones (local and public) ??
> I newer did it before, so I dont know how to make above configuration on
> slave NS...

I'm going to assume .1 is the master and .100 is the slave.  The master
nameserver needs a second IP configured on it, let's say 192.168.0.2.

In the public view, the slave should pull the zone from 192.168.0.1, in
the private view it should pull from 192.168.0.2.

In the master's named.conf, the public view should contain:

match-destination { 192.168.0.1; };
notify-source { 192.168.0.1; };

and the private view should contain:

match-destination { 192.168.0.2; };