Problem when resolving - works only once or twice

Thomas L. deather.dede at gmail.nospam.com
Thu Oct 9 20:48:43 UTC 2008

Hello guys,

  I'm having a strange issue with BIND-9.3.5-P2 on a
Solaris 10 6/06 box. Instead of a long explanation, let me
show you the problem:

ryna>host cath
cath.hinyx.info has address 192.168.0.2
Host cath.hinyx.info not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Host cath.hinyx.info not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
ryna>host cath
cath has address 192.168.0.2
Host cath not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Host cath not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
ryna>host cath
Host cath not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

So, as you can see, running this command three consecutive
times shows different results. After that, resolving `cath'
doesn't work anymore until I restart bind.

Because I guess you are not magicians, let me explain my
BIND configuration.

My BIND is basically only doing forwarding to two other
servers, depending upon the requested domain.

ryna is a box connected to two networks; 192.168.0.0/24 and
10.0.0.0/8. There is a DNS server at 192.168.0.254, who
resolves names for the hinyx.info domains, and who forwards
other requests to my ISP DNS servers. There is another DNS
server located at 10.42.6.6, which resolves addresses for the
epita.fr domain.

Here is parts of my BIND configuration file. I've included only
informations of interest (I guess):

options {
  [other options...]
  forward first;
  forwarders { 192.168.0.254 ; };
};

[localhost-related stuff]

zone "epita.fr" {
  type forward;
  forward only;
  forwarders { 10.42.6.6; 10.42.7.7; };
};

And my resolv.conf:

ryna>cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain hinyx.info
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search hinyx.info epita.fr

Resolution for the epita.fr domain works perfectly:

ryna>host italie.epita.fr
italie.epita.fr has address 10.42.2.70
-> 10.42.6.6 is asked, works fine multiple times.

Asking `host' to directly query 192.168.0.254 works,
but there is a strange thing:

ryna>host barney 192.168.0.254
Using domain server:
Name: 192.168.0.254
Address: 192.168.0.254#53
Aliases:

barney.hinyx.info has address 192.168.0.3
Host barney.hinyx.info not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) <-- ???
Host barney.hinyx.info not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) <-- ???

The two last lines seem strange. They also appear when
the query goes through my BIND. Maybe this is a problem
in the configuration of the DNS server running on
192.168.0.254, which could be driving my BIND crazy?

It's the first time I am configuring a DNS server, I'm
far from being a guru in this domain. Any idea would be
very appreciated.

Thanks

--
Thomas