dnssec logging problem

Gilles Massen gm at dns.lu
Tue Oct 14 07:33:35 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a problem with getting bind 9.5.1b2 to log dnssec related messages, and
I am quite lost:

- bind is logging all right, named started with -d 6
- the dnnssec category is logging to 2 channels (should be only one, but using
two illustrates the issue even better)
- the channels are defined exactly the same (except the output file)
- file permissions are ok, the output files are created correctly but the one
for the dnssec_logging channel is never filled with anything.
- however, expected output is written to the general_logging channel
(e.g.: 14-Oct-2008 09:19:35.454 dnssec: debug 3: validating @0x80d6c08:
www.ericsson.se NS: in authvalidated)

Extracts from the config:
--
channel general_logging {
        file "/var/log/general.log" versions 3 size 30m;

channel dnssec_logging {
        file "/var/log/dnssec2.log" versions 3 size 30m;
        severity dynamic;
        print-time yes;
        print-category yes;
        print-severity yes;
};
--
category general { general_logging; };

category dnssec { general_logging; dnssec_logging; };
--

I almost hope someone will be able to spot a stupid mistake...

Regards,
Gilles
DNS-LU