What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Oct 14 10:24:28 UTC 2008

Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let
you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites.

Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon
wont even ask you for AUTH. Without AUTH there is no mail forwarding.

The IMAP receiver on port 25 will treat emails as spam if your
reverse name and your sender come from different TLDs.

I have seen the new Firefox (Ubuntu) doing or better not doing
a lot of peculiar things if scripts or cookies comes from sites
without names.

Dont forget tcpwrapper (inetd) and xinetd are doing reverse lookup
and break things like ftp, uucp, smtp, time and many others.

Kind regards
Peter

--
Peter and Karin Dambier