domain keys and name-checking

aklist aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Fri Oct 17 21:02:10 UTC 2008

> My guess is that you inserted that line between records for the same
> name, that were making use of the feature of automatically reusing the
> name from the previous line, e.g. you started with:
>
> foo IN A 1.2.3.4
>    IN A 2.3.4.5
>
> and changed it to:
>
> foo IN A 1.2.3.4
> server._domainkey IN TXT "k=rsa; p=[very long string]"
>    IN A 2.3.4.5
>
> Now the second A record is assigned to server._domainkey, which is not a
> valid hostname.

Hi: I'm close to fixing this...I moved the "sever._domainkeys..." record to
the bottom of the domain, and named-checkzone doesn't object.

However, I have a subdomain that I'm trying to declare at the same time, and
when I append it to the end of the domain I get an "ignoring out-of-zone
data" error for all the subdomain's A records. (The subdomain only contains
a single server, which is a mailserver with 5 IPs assigned to it.) My
complete domain looks like this:

$TTL 3h
@ IN SOA ns.parent.com. hostmaster.parent.com. (
        2008101601 ; serial
        3h ; refresh
        1h ; retry
        1w ; expire
        1h ) ;  neg cache
;
        NS      ns.parent.com.
        NS      ns1.parent.com.
;
        MX      10 mail
;
        TXT     "v=spf1 ip4:aaa.bbb.ccc.40/29 a mx -all"
;
             A       aaa.bbb.ccc.41
mail       A       aaa.bbb.ccc.42
www     A       aaa.bbb.ccc.41
;
server._domainkey.domain.com. IN TXT "k=rsa; p=[long string]"
;
$ORIGIN sub.domain.com.
server      A       aaa.bbb.ccc.42
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.12
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.13
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.14
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.15
        MX      10 server
;
        TXT     "v=spf1 ip4:aaa.bbb.ccc.40/29 a mx -all"