domain keys and name-checking

aklist aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Sat Oct 18 21:30:37 UTC 2008

>> I do now <g>...I always did it without thinking about why it worked,
>> because
>> it worked!
>
> Maybe it's time for you to read the "DNS & BIND" book and learn how all
> this stuff works.

I do have the book, and I've used the examples therein to set up BIND, but I
didn't read it cover to cover...Cricket said this was OK <g>. Thanks for you
patience though.

>> but I'm still getting the error above for all the subzone A records?
>
> Those records all belong in the zone file for sub.domain.com, not
> domain.com.  That's what "delegating a subzone" means -- the subdomain
> data is all in its own files on the servers that you've delegated to
> (the ones named in the NS records).

I understand that, but I was using DNS & BIND's example of "Creating a
Subdomain in the Parent's Zone"...which doesn't provide much detail...just
add the origin statment for the subdomain and the subdomain records under
it.

> If you're using all the same servers for both domain.com and
> sub.domain.com, you don't need to delegate at all.  Get rid of the NS
> records for sub.domain.com, the "zone" statement in your named.conf, and
> then you can put these records in the

Oh, I wish you'd finish that statement!

FWIW: I thought I _wasn't_ delegating the subdomain by including it in the
parent zone in my example...nor did I create any NS records for the
subdomain...all I did was append this to the end of the parent zone file as
the example shows, but I'm getting the out-of-zone error with this config.

$ORIGIN sub.domain.com.
server      A       aaa.bbb.ccc.42
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.12
server      A       aaa.bbb.ddd.13