no servers could be reached

info at mtdatasure.com info at mtdatasure.com
Sun Oct 19 05:52:14 UTC 2008

I have  bind 9.3.4 install and running on RH5.  I am not able to query it successfully.  Here are the trouble shooting techniques I have used thus far:  All of them work when run from the command line of the DNS server its self.  The trouble starts when trying to query this DNS server from another machine.  So again, locally, DNS queries are working.

Explicitly using TCP, a query is successful
dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com. soa +vc

When using UDP (as I assume the following command does) no luck.  The following is printed.
dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

I have also tried:
nslookup
> lserver xx.xx.xx.xxx
>www.abcnews.com

I recieve the same message, connection timed out: no servers could be reached.

I am able to telnet into port 53, as I'm sure the TCP port is working just fine.

The lsof command shows the following:

named     3776 named   20u     IPv4              12822                 UDP 127.0.0.1:domain
named     3776 named   21u     IPv4              12823                 TCP 127.0.0.1:domain (LISTEN)
named     3776 named   22u     IPv4              12824                 UDP xx.xx.xx.xxx:domain
named     3776 named   23u     IPv4              12825                 TCP xx.xx.xx.xxx:domain (LISTEN)
named     3776 named   24u     IPv4              12826                 UDP *:40624
named     3776 named   25u     IPv6              12827                 UDP *:48884
named     3776 named   26u     IPv4              12828                 TCP 127.0.0.1:rndc (LISTEN)

And finally, I have tried these commands with the firewall turned off.   It appears as if UDP port 53 simply isn't listening.  I am out of ideas.

Is there a configuration option new to bind 9.3 that I'm not thinking of?  Is there a service that I need to have running that's not?

Thank you in advance.

Pete