SERVFAIL and lame server errors for google MX servers

andys a.smith at ukgrid.net
Mon Oct 20 10:35:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

  I am seeing SERVFAIL errors from our FreeBSD BIND 9.5.0.2 server when
looking up MX records for google.com.
We have a customer complaining they are having mail delivery errors as a
result which have a serious impact to this customer, so I need to know if
its a problem with our server.

So far the symptoms have been that in the past couple of weeks we have seen
errors like:

> Default Server:  ns1.ukgrid.net
>
> Address:  85.159.60.194
>

>> set type=mx
>
>> googlemail.com
>
> Server:  ns1.ukgrid.net
>
> Address:  85.159.60.194
>

> *** ns1.ukgrid.net can't find googlemail.com: Server failed

then a few moments later if you try again the query succeeds.

Now on the face of it this looks like a problem with google DNS to me (but
Im no BIND expert), but the thing that worries me is that restarting named
on our server seems to completely clear the problem, at least for some days.
I have also tried upgrading BIND, we were previously running on the FreeBSD
ports version 9.5.0.1 and now on 9.5.0.2 but the same issue is still being
seen.

Any advise on whether we have an issue or its just a problem with google
servers would be appreciated.

thanks in advance, Andy.

PS currently Im not seeing the problem so it makes trouble shooting very
hard!