Some dns recursive resolution issues ..

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Oct 20 13:46:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 03:29:45PM +0200,
 vincent.blondel at ing.be <vincent.blondel at ing.be> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> I just checked on our internet routers and the routes are correctly
> announced in our bgp area.

That was not my point: my point is that ugc.fr is too brittle: such a
setup has probably a (may be several) single point of failure. So, in
case of network trouble, it may be less robust that other domains,
with DNS servers in several places.

> On the other hand if I directly send the query to ns.dns7947.net. or
> ns2.dns7947.net. this is working well but the normal query gives
> problems.

The recursive name server at your premises has a problem, then. Did
you test with dig ON THE NAME SERVER, in order to use the same IP
address? Did you check its log file? Does it has a fixed source port
(a firewall somewhere may block packets with source port == 53)?