SERVFAIL and lame server errors for google MX servers

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Oct 21 18:29:55 UTC 2008

At 21 Oct 2008 15:13:21 +0100,
Chris Thompson <cet1 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> >I guess you mean 9.5.0-P2, and if so, do you explicitly specify
> >max-cache-size?  If not, that may be an implicit reason for the
> >trouble.  The default max-cache-size of 9.5.0-P2 is 32MB, way too
> >small for reasonably busy servers.  Depending on your available
> >memory, I'd suggest specifying at least 256MB for a busy server.
>
> Would having too small a cache really cause sporadic SERVFAILs?

Could be, though the mechanism is indirectly and wouldn't be obvious.

> I thought that 9.5.x's super new cache cleaning algorithms were
> meant to prevent the long dead periods of previous versions.

That's correct, but a super new feature also tends to have a
regression bug:-)  This is a kind of such a bad side effect (which we
can and will fix).

> >Aside from that, we're currently fixing a bug in cache entry
> >management of 9.5.  This may also be related to your symptom, and if
> >so, it will hopefully be fixed in the next beta (or RC) version of
> >9.5.1.
>
> Fix number? (so that we will recognise it in the CHANGES file in
> due course!)

The fix is currently under internal review, and hasn't been assigned a
fix number yet.  It will however be identifiable by the corresponding
bug report number, which is 17628.

BTW, if you or other people are particularly interested in the patch,
I'll temporarily put it somewhere.  It would be good to know the patch
will fix actual problems.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya