Avoiding duplicate PTR records when using $GENERATE

Steve Brorens SJB at commarc.co.nz
Thu Oct 23 23:18:53 UTC 2008

I've got range of 256 addresses, where I have valid PTRs for all
addresses generated by:

    $GENERATE 0-255 $ PTR   123-123.123-66-$.acme.co.nz.

My problem is that there are a dozen or so addresses scattered through
this range where I want to define specific PTR records like this:

    203    PTR    ftp.acme.co.nz.
    4      PTR    www.acme.co.nz.
    105    PTR    smtp.acme.co.nz.

However, this means that these addresses get two PTR records  -
generally A Bad Thing, especially for mailservers.

Is there a way to use $GENERATE to just "fill the gaps"?

 - steve