forward problem

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Oct 27 17:44:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 09:53 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > > From: Trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com>
> > > Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:28:59 +0100
> > >
> > > I have been asked basically to provide a "sitefinder" like service for
> > > some people so they have something other than the default browser 404
> > > page.  I am fully aware of the problems this can cause, however in this
> >
> > >From a response written by Kevin Darcy on 22 Aug...
>
> On 26.10.08 23:48, Gregory Hicks wrote:
> > "With BIND, you can only do this for zones for which you are
> > authoritative, by putting wildcard entries in those zones. So, unless
> > you want to claim authority for every zone on the Internet, you can't
> > do it *universally*.
> >
> > Note, many of us view this practice as inherently evil, especially
> > after the SiteFinder ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_Finder )
> > incident. It's usually done to try and "monetize" (see also "make money
> > from", "scam") people's typos."
>
> or also a "fraud" because it makes people think that some hosts (recods)
> exist, while they do not.

or neither if you read the original email it has nothing to do with any
of this, I did not think that it was important to respond to Gregory
Hicks because he refused to read the email, a big example is he quoted
the config file but then insisted it wasnt there.  He ignored the
scenario I described to come up with some thing about how wrong this is,
while including the part of my email saying I was aware of the problems
and wanted to keep the politics out of a technical discussion.  So when
it was by itself I felt no response was warranted anyone can see what
Gregory was doing, however now that there are more people jumping on and
the email is getting further redacted I feel that I must comment again,
and restate what I originally said - which is that its for a very small
group of people where I volunteer, they want it for their office, its
nothing more than that.

I also have gotten comments back that the forward first feature does not
work the way I read that it did, and that is where the problem is, and
that I will do a code change, based on how much drama this is causing I
will no longer offer my patch - basically I dont want to deal with
people that refuse to read what is said just to push some agenda that
they have personally.  Sorry that my original email was abused to waste
everyones time.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200