file descriptors

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 16:56:10 UTC 2008

Hello,

1. What version of BIND are you running? We recompiled 9.5.0-P2 with 4096 file descriptors and we no longer saw errors on our Solaris machines. Regardless, 9.5.1b2 has been the best weapon of the 9.5.x train so far (in QPS and server efficiency). Obviously, this is a beta version and that should be considered.

2. In our environment, 9.5.0-P2 had to be recompiled to use additional FDs. That is, increasing "rlim" values had no (upper limit) effect. You must also consider the user environment you are running named as and that environment's FD limits (/etc/system verses "ulimit" settings in a root .profile, for example).
You might want to review the various "rlim" settings for your environment against what the defaults are:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/chapter2-1?a=view

3. If you are running 9.5.x (or are considering moving towards it), but sure to understand the changes from previous versions. For example, max-cache-size is now set to 32M default (much too small for our environment) In addition to the isc.org ARM and README files with the source code, there is this site:
http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/docs/bind-9-5-features.html

4. I know the UK doesn't celebrate Halloween, but Happy Halloween anyway.

HTH -- Chris