Copying/cloning bind system

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Oct 31 23:13:25 UTC 2008

a bv wrote:
> Hi,
> I wonder how can i make a copy of the bind nameserver  from 9.2.4 to  9.3.4
> . I have a working bind server and have an other linux installation and need
> to make the bind server work like the main production server.

Copy everything in -- and underneath -- the directory specified by the
"directory" option in named.conf, bearing in mind that if named usually
runs chroot()'ed, this directory will be relative to the chroot() apex.

Speaking of chroot(), if you run that way, you'll need to build another
chroot() "jail" on the target system, which might need to be slightly
different than that on your source system, if the versions or flavors of
Linux differ between the two. Check your OS documentation for details.

Configure the target system to automatically start named on bootup, if
it isn't already configured to do so.

Lastly, you might need to adjust the target system's syslogd
configuration, if you're using syslog to log messages from named -- if
you're logging directly to files, then this step shouldn't be necessary.