Bind 9.4.2 not resolving one domain

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 4 04:21:31 UTC 2008

That still sounds like a performance problem, as Kevin hinted.

In this case, the qname is an alias of an alias (bad, but not
uncommon), and all three names are in different zones.

www.yahoo.com.ar.	1800	IN	CNAME	hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com.
hp2.latam.g1.b.yahoo.com. 300	IN	CNAME	us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com.
us.hp2.latam.a1.b.yahoo.com. 300 IN	A	98.136.43.19

That's at least 9 queries if the cache is empty at the beginning, more
if the resolver is verifying glue records.

What happens if you try the query again a few seconds later?

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice