check-names settings

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Fri Sep 12 20:17:57 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:56:56 -0500
> From: Peter Laws <plaws at ou.edu>
>
> Leonard Mills wrote:
> > check-names master ignore
> >
> > might well be what you're looking for.  You lose name checking against the
current standards :-).

> *That's* the question:  what are the standards as BIND sees them?  The RFCs
> referenced in here and in the docs specify what's "official" (or what was
> official years ago) but that's not necessarily the same as what BIND does:
>
> "The rules for legal hostnames / mail domains are derived from RFC 952 and
> RFC 821 as modified by RFC 1123." (from BIND docs)
>

> OK, so just what is derived?  Did they take the rules verbatim?  Or do they
> allow some and not others?  SRV records *require* the underbar, but they
> aren't mentioned in any of the RFCs above or any posted here today ...

Well, you're allowed to have an "_" in a DOMAIN name but not in a HOST
name.  And RFC 2782 covers SRV RRs as used in DNS...

(RFC 2782 is available http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2782.html and
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2782.txt )

> So the question stands - what do I lose if I choose "check-names slave
> ignore"?
>

> --
> Peter Laws / N5UWY
> National Weather Center / Network Operations Center
> University of Oklahoma Information Technology
> plaws at ou.edu
> Feedback? Contact my director, Craig Cochell, craigc at ou.edu. Thank you!

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
2655 Seely Ave M/S 9A1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."