Dnssec questions (and more questions)

D. Stussy spam at bde-arc.ampr.org
Wed Sep 17 02:19:38 UTC 2008

"Thomas Schulz" <schulz at adi.com> wrote in message
news:gapnsh$2d9g$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Am I correct in assumeing that I can set up our server with the dnssec
> keys and then without any great rush send the dlv records to isc.org
> and no resolver will reject our zone because of the partial setup?
>
> What do I do when I want to change to new keys?  It would seem that I
> can't change either my keys or the dlv record at isc.org without doing
> the other one first!  Can I load new keys and keep the old ones loaded
> at the same time?  If so, then changing the dlv record should be ok.
>
> Is it reasonable to set the expiration time to some large value for
> zones that would not be interesting to anyone?  I am thinking of
> changing the key yearly but set the expire time to 2 years so that
> there will be no problems if I get side tracked for a month or so.
>
> What happens if one of our secondaries has no special setup for dnssec?
> Should it be still able to serve any records that it gets in the zone
> transfer? And if it does not serve the key records when there are dlv
> records at isc.org what happens?  I think that a.dns.tds.net is running
> some version of bind, but when I query for version.bind I get the response
> that this is a rude question.  In case it is helpful, our domain is
adi.com.

Although I'm not answering your questions, the fact that you raised them
does lead to some other important points:

1)  Setting up DNSSEC is not trivial.  The interesting thing is that
apparently BIND supports recomputing the validation keys (NSEC-RRs, or their
equivalents e.g. the proposed NSEC3-RR) on the fly for dynamically updated
zones, yet one cannot simply hand a zone lacking DNSSEC records to the
"named" server program and have the latter auto-generate the appropriate
records upon zone loading (master zones only, of course) where dynamic
update is disabled.  (If one can, I haven't figured out how.)

2)  The DS-RR needs to be placed into the parent zone:  Although for now, we
have the DLV, the fact that the data are ultimately destined for the parent
zone implies that it should be a domain registry item (active when the TLDs
finally get around to signing their own zone data).  Yet, I've seen nothing
to indicate that this change is coming.  Heck - domain registries and
registrars still have problems with supporting IPv6 glue.  We didn't even
have IPv6 glue on the root zone until this year, and about 1/3 of all ccTLDs
still don't.  IPv6 has been in common usage for 5+ years now although not
mainstream, and only now is everyone catching up.

As such, I consider it too complicated to implement at this time.