Negative caching SERVFAIL responses

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Sep 18 18:39:38 UTC 2008

Hi Arjun,

I did it and Im glad it is nolonger automatically done.

When I had a break in connectivity for a couple of minutes,
my resolver replied NXDOMAIN for everything and it would
not heal itself for more that an hour.

It would not work again until I stopped and restarted the
nameserver. When that happened more than once  day I was
glad somebody told me how to switch it off with bind 8.

"auth-nxdomain yes" will cache permanently domains that were
missing once.

Kind regards
Peter

--