Dynamic update and the views

Jing Cao caojingnju at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 01:47:57 UTC 2008

I'm using BIND9.3.2 on WindowsXP, I meet 3 problems on the dynamic updates
and views:
1) When I use nsupdate to update my DNS server, I can see the DNS updated
and new IP can be resolved. Also I found the .tmp and .jnl exists in my zone
directory. From the user manual, the .jnl file will be "dumped" to the zone
file very 15 minutes. But my DNS server seems never dump that .jnl file, and
the serial number never changed (I wait for several days). Is there any
configure item in BIND to enable the DNS server automatically dump the .jnl
file? Also, I found a lot of .tmp file exists if I use nsupdate often. Will
BIND automatically remove these tmp files?

2) When I didn't use any explicit views in my DNS config file, if I updated
the zone file manually and then "rndc reload", I can see the update result
very soon (I set the cache for each record very small, and use "ping" to
check the result).  But if I use some views in my config file, every time I
updated the zone file manually and then "rndc reload", I can not see the
update result. I have to go to ManagementTool->Service and restart the "IDC
BIND" service (I'm using WindowsXP) to make the update work. Any idea?

3)If my IP address is listed in the internal view of the DNS server, and DNS
server also has an external view. I want to use nsupdate to update the
record of the external view's zone file, is it possible? If yes, any
instruction on this? If not, how can I dynamically update the external
view's zone file?

Thanks a lot for your patience to read my mail and look forward to your
help!

BRs

Jim