Question about rndc status

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Sep 26 02:28:28 UTC 2008

iman wrote:
> Dear Admins
> Im not professional in bind,so i confused about some notices in its
> options.
> i would be appreciated if someone explain it in details:
> when i run rndc status some of things it returns are :
> 1-recursive clients: 476/32668/32768
> 1-1) what is the meaning of first number:
> is it define the number of computers use my dns server as their dns
> server?or some thing else?

I believe it's the number of unique IP addresses for which recursive
service is currently being performed. But, I might be wrong on that; it
might also be the number of concurrent recursive-resolution requests,
even if the same source address is associated with multiple requests. I
believe "client" has a very technical meaning within the BIND
programming environment.
> 1-2) why the second and the third number have different? what is the
> second number(32668)?

The second number is a "soft limit". When it hits that it starts
cancelling the oldest queries. So, theoretically, you should never hit
the "hard limit" (the third number), unless the queries are coming in
faster than the cancellations can be performed. When the hard limit is
hit, I believe named just ignores any further queries.
> 2-tcp clients: 1/10000
> 2-1) what is the meaning of 1?
> is it define, one computer sends its request through tcp port to my
> dns server?

I wouldn't frame this in terms of "computers". The nameserver doesn't
know how many "computers" it is serving, since a single "computer" can
have multiple addresses.

I believe the "1" means that one TCP connection is currently established
to the named process.
> or it define 127.0.0.1 just run on 953 tcp port on my server? or some
> thing else?

I don't know offhand whether "tcp clients" includes the rndc connection
or not.