Trouble configuring forwarders for reverse zones.

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Apr 9 17:29:48 UTC 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 9:59 AM, M-lists wrote:
> Much obliged Chris: I'll give that a go.  Just out of interest
> though, how
> come you can't just specify a netmask?  It seems convoluted to have
> such
> different ways of specifying reverse forwarders for classfull and
> classless
> Subnets.

The answer is contained within a several-hour training course on how
DNS works (which I have been known to teach now and then). The short
version is, standard PTR record names (and the names used in queries
looking for PTR records) are based on the IP address, with dots at the
octet boundaries. They don't have the subnet mask in them.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice