Problem with Dynamic DNS Updates using TSIG

Erisan Nyamutenha Erisan.Nyamutenha at uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 14 09:53:34 UTC 2009

Hi all,
Can any one help me out, I'm having a problem setting up Dynamic DNS updates using TSIG. I'm running ISC Bind 9 on SLES 10 and ISC DHCP 3.0.3 on SLES 10. I need to get my DHCP to update my DNS. Here is my DNS and DHCP config plus the error i'm getting from nsupdate. hostnames and IPs have been changed for obvious reasons.

Regards

Erisan

1. DNS Configuration named.conf

key dns1-dhcp1 {
  algorithm HMAC-MD5;
  secret "0d07/kpYCGfnxbjkRT/QkA==";
};

zone "domain-name" {
        type master;
        file "zone file location";
        allow-update { key dns1-dhcp1; };
};

2. DHCP Configuration dhcpd.conf

key dns1-dhcp1 {
 algorithm HMAC-MD5;
 secret "0d07/kpYCGfnxbjkRT/QkA==";
};

zone domain-name. {
 primary [dns1-ip-add];
 key dns1-dhcp1;
}

zone 111.111.in-addr.arpa. {
 primary [dns1-ip-add];
 key dns1-dhcp1;
}
 3. The error I get

dhcp1:~ # nsupdate -y dns1-dhcp1:0d07/kpYCGfnxbjkRT/QkA==
> update add jogle-laptop.its.uct.ac.za 86400 A 137.158.156.95
> send
; TSIG error with server: tsig indicates error
update failed: NOTAUTH(BADKEY)