Recursor only config for localhost

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Apr 16 00:23:00 UTC 2009

named can certainly listen on ports other than 53, but your resolver
library probably doesn't have any way to be configured to use a non-53 port.

If you _really_ want to do this, then perhaps you should get the
authoritative nameserver to listen on a port other than 53, and put some
sort of port translator in front of it. Then port 53 would be freed up
on your server for recursive service.

Or, why not just configure a separate virtual interface and have the two
nameserver instances listen on different *addresses* instead of ports? I
realize that may entail modifications of firewall rules, etc. but it
seems cleaner than using a port translator.

                                             - Kevin