Strange Problem querying delegated zone

Eric Langheinrich bind at eric.unspam.com
Thu Apr 16 20:55:58 UTC 2009

I'm running into a strange problem and am hoping someone might be able to
give me at least some direction regarding what to look at.

I have bind setup and the name server on my box. /etc/resolve.conf lists
127.0.0.1 as the name server. Bind is authoritative for a single domain (for
internal use only) with three subzone delegations to rbldnsd for blacklists
running on 127.0.0.253.

The problem I am experiencing is when I attempt to query one of the
delegated zones, the first query works beautifully, but any subsequent
queries result in SERVFAIL responses. If I stop querying for some period of
time (say a minute) I can then successfully run a single query against the
delegated zones and again any subsequent queries fail. During the time where
bind returns SERVFAIL, I am able to query directly against the rbldnsd
server running on 127.0.0.253.

Thanks in advance for any help!