Combined master + forward zone

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Mon Apr 20 14:28:31 UTC 2009

> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:39:59 +0300 (EEST)
> From: Petteri Heinonen <petteri.j.heinonen at kolumbus.fi>
>
> Chris Buxton [cbuxton at menandmice.com] wrote:
> > On Apr 19, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Petteri Heinonen wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all. I have been struggling with a seeming simple Bind
related
> > > problem. My main goal would be to have dynamically added RRs
served
> > > by different server than the normal statically configured RRs.
> > > Essentially, the zone's RRs would be divided on two Bind servers.
> > > Here is the setup I would like to achieve:
[...]
> Ok, thanks for confirming my doubts. As a related issue, how is Bind
> supposed to be used in a domain where Windows Domain Controllers are
> used for Windows domain services, but Bind is used for DNS? I mean,
> in a Windows domain DDNS updates are used by both Domain Controllers
> and by normal domain clients. For Domain Controllers, it is essential
> that they can register their SRV records dynamically in DNS. Now in
> case of distributed domain (several Domain Controllers on separate
> sites, but all still belonging to the same Windows domain and all
> using the same DNS zone), there should be also own DNS service for
> each site (for fault tolerance and redundancy etc). But, as only one
> site can host the master DNS server which accepts DDNS update
> requests, all sites' machines have to be configured to use that
> single Bind instance as their primary DNS server?
>
> So the actual question: if DDNS update functionality is needed, am I
bound to use only one Bind instance as the primary DNS server for all
the hosts, on all the separate sites?

How about:  Place all the Windows Boxen into subdomains, managed by
Windows AD?  Bind manages the main domain.com DNS...

That works.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson