Failover

Philippe.Simonet at swisscom.com Philippe.Simonet at swisscom.com
Mon Apr 27 06:59:56 UTC 2009

This is not the DNS job to check at the web service availability.
You could make an external script that is testing for the service availibility
and change the dns accordingly, like (...) :

web1 active  ?
    yes : was it active at last test ?
            yes : do nothing
            no : set www to point to web1 in DNS
    no : was it already inactive ?
            yes : do nothing
            no : set www to point to web2 in DNS

and with having www/web1/web2 having a low TTL.

Philippe