Relevant RFC on A records for NS's

Kal Feher kalman.feher at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Apr 30 08:43:28 UTC 2009

When I clicked on that link the only error was an MNAME error. Did you see
another error? (I wonder if it was a transient error you observed, because
it appears different to yours).
The error according to the report (run against isc.org):

"ERROR: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master
(primary) name server is: ns-int.isc.org. That server is not listed at the
parent servers, which is not correct."

$ dig soa isc.org +short
ns-int.isc.org. hostmaster.isc.org. 2009042800 7200 3600 24796800 3600

$ dig ns isc.org +short
ord.sns-pb.isc.org.
sfba.sns-pb.isc.org.
ns-ext.nrt1.isc.org.
ams.sns-pb.isc.org.

So the report states that the MNAME is not one of the listed name servers.
This appears to be true.

Checking your domain: newgeo.com (did you mean this one or another?). The
error is a different one.
Your name servers:
$ dig ns newgeo.com +short
ns1.nacio.com.
ns1.hostwizard.com.

Now the report wants to check each name server:

$ dig ns1.hostwizard.com @ns1.nacio.com +short
64.84.37.14
That worked.

$ dig ns1.nacio.com @ns1.hostwizard.com

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> ns1.nacio.com @ns1.hostwizard.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 24774
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns1.nacio.com.                 IN      A
This one didnt

So to answer your question "what is this error asking of me?". It wants
ns1.hostwizard.com to reply as ns1.nacio.com did. Specifically to answer an
A record query for ns1.nacio.com.

--
Kal Feher