nsupdate delete question

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 15:09:24 UTC 2009

On Apr 30 2009, James M wrote:

>While invoking nsupdate within a program I notice that trying to
>delete a nonexistant host does not return an error.

That's a result of the way that RFC 2136 defined update operations.
Read section 3, and note in particular that errors are never generated
in 3.4.2. Sometimes this is a damn nuisance (one would really prefer
BIND to give an error when trying to create an RR co-existing with
a CNAME, for example, rather than ignoring the update), but not really
in your case. Being able to delete RR(s) if they exist, but do nothing
if they don't, is a perfectly reasonable requirement.

What you need to do is to add a prereq requiring the RRset to exist
("prereq yxrrset mandy11.example.com A") or for it to have particular
contents ("prereq yxrrset mandy11.example.com A 192.168.255.42")
before it is deleted.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk