[SPAM] Win2k and bind

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Aug 3 02:42:21 UTC 2009

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 29.07.09 22:37, Abello, Vinny wrote:
>> Considering 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, and 2008 R2 (technically done, but will
>> officially release in October) have been released, I don't think dropping
>> support for an ancient operating system from 9.5 years ago and roughly 3
>> prior generations that the vendor doesn't even support is a bad idea. :)
>> 2k boxes are time bombs, IMO.
>
> even if they were not (windows updates), there is a technical reason that
> prevents new bind from being compatible with it (new security features
> require that). Search web/archives for more info.

That's not exactly true. The security fixes did not require any
Windows-specific changes. However the fixes did provoke an existing bug
in the Windows code that needed to be fixed. To fix that the accept and
connect code needed to be revamped (among other areas) and the best way
to do that required changes to clean up the implementation. Functions
only available with Windows XP and later were needed to do this.

> Until M$ fixes that one (I doubt so), new BIND won't be compatible with w2k.

No, they'd have to add the API functions to an obsolete version of Windows.

Danny