Dual home DNS

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sat Aug 8 19:44:43 UTC 2009

Nasser Heidari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have two sets of customer IP ranges, for example first one is
> 10.0.0.0 and second one is 20.0.0.0
>
> I want to know is it possible that I have one DNS Server with two IP
> addresses in each range and whenever a client from 10.0.0.0 range send a
> DNS query, my DNS server uses it's 10.0.0.0 IP to send a recursive query
> out to resolve the address and vice versa?

It's not clear to me from your question whether you are talking about
a networking issue, or a dns answer issue. Can you clarify whether or
not you are trying to get named to send its answers out on the same
network as the question came from (which I believe it should do
automatically); or whether you are asking for named to change its
answers depending on what network the question came from.

If it's the latter question, the answer you already got here about
views is the right one.

hope this helps,

Doug