nsupdate and an external database

Simpson, John R john_simpson at reyrey.com
Mon Aug 10 14:30:09 UTC 2009

>From the lack of response, I take it that there is no good way to have BIND trigger an external database update (or other action) when it receives a DDNS update.  At least not without significantly customizing BIND, similar to what Quadritec / Lucent / Alcatel-Lucent did with QIP.

Enhancing ProBIND to support BIND-SDB master servers while keeping traditional configuration files for the slaves looks feasible.  Would there be interest in the BIND community for a version of ProBIND with SDB support, or am I re-inventing the wheel?

There are a lot of dead and outdated links for BIND-SDB.  Is it viable for long-term use?

Thanks,

John

John Simpson
Senior Software Engineer, I. T. Engineering and Operations