Named is causing my server to Kernel panic?

Scott Baker bakers at canbytel.com
Thu Aug 27 15:57:10 UTC 2009

I have two DNS servers, and my slave server has been crashing repeatedly
about once a week. It's crashing hard and bringing down the *whole* box.
It's a F10 box, running:

:rpm -q bind
bind-9.5.1-3.P3.fc10.i386

Here is a shot from my cell phone of the kernel panic:

http://www.perturb.org/tmp/named-crash.jpg

My first thought is that it was bad hardware, so we swapped the HDs out to
another server. *Everything* was new except the HDs and the crashes still
occurred. I'm not sure what my next step is, but having it continue to
crash is no good! The box is up to date on all software and kernel patches.
It runs fine while it's up, it just randomly crashes.

Help!

--
Scott Baker - Canby Telcom
System Administrator - RHCE - 503.266.8253