socket.c:4524: unexpected error:

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Mon Aug 31 19:06:16 UTC 2009

At Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:01:08 +0300,
Ram Akuka <ramakuka at gmail.com> wrote:

> recently i upgraded my DNS  to 9.4.3P3 (from 9.4.3).
> since then i can see the below error more often:
> 30-Aug-2009 02:27:24.925 general: error: socket.c:4524: unexpected error:
> 30-Aug-2009 02:27:24.925 general: error: 22/Invalid argument
> i can see there's an open bug on this issue -
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bind-users@lists.isc.org/msg03339.html,
> but i can't understand what's the effects of this bug.
> is there any way i can help solve this bug? can i know how this
> effects my service . should i expect some service interruption or
> anything like that ?
> should i consider downgrade to 9.4.2P2?

First off, please identify the operating system and its version.  This
kind of thing can be highly dependent on OS-level details.

Secondly, I suspect it's less likely that the difference from 9.4.3
and 9.4.3-P3 suddenly causes this failure.  If you really see more of
this after upgrading to 9.4.3-P3 from 9.4.3, I guess it's more likely
because (e.g.) a change of query pattern.  Or do you mean you upgraded
from 9.4.2-P2 to 9.4.3-P3?

Also, how often did it happen?  While it's an unexpected error in this
context, a system call (connect(2) in this case) can fail for any
reason and the other part of named has some level of resilience to
such cases.  So, unless it's very frequent you may be able to ignore
the warnings safely in practice.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.