Generating multiple zones with h2n

Andreas Rother rother-ml at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 15:13:05 UTC 2009

Dear list,

I try to simplify our DNS administration and want to create proper zone files with h2n.

Our network structure consists of several class C networks and several top level domains. We are using fictional TLDs internally (e.g. tdl1, tld2). The tricky thing ist that all TLDs can have addresses in all networks.

I learnt from other posts that in this case you run h2n for the first TLD with creating the reverse lookup files and subsequent with other config files for further TLDs without creating PTR files.

My approach did not create the reverse lookup files properly. The "-p" seems to be ignored :-( Generating the zone file for tld2 works fine.

hosts.dummy:
192.168.1.1     host1.tld1
192.168.1.2     host2.tld2
192.168.2.1     host3.tld1
192.168.2.2     host4.tld2

gen_tld1.conf:
-H hosts.dummy
-h host1.tld1
-u me at host2.tld1
-M
-y
-d tld1
-p tld2
-n 192.168.1
-n 192.168.2

Then I generate the zone files:

> ./h2n -f gen_tld1.conf
Initializing new database files...
Reading host file `hosts.dummy'...
Line 2: Skipping `host2.tld2'.
The canonical name does not match the -d option.
> 192.168.1.2   host2.tld2
Line 4: Skipping `host4.tld2'.
The canonical name does not match the -d option.
> 192.168.2.2   host4.tld2
Writing database files...

Both hosts from tld2 are not included neither in db.192.168.1 nor in db.192.168.2

db.192.168.1:
$TTL 86400
@       SOA     host1.tld1. me.tld1.tld1. ( 2009120101 10800 3600 604800 600 )
        NS      host1.tld1.

1               PTR     host1.tld1.

db.192.168.2:
$TTL 86400
@       SOA     host1.tld1. me.tld1.tld1. ( 2009120101 10800 3600 604800 600 )
        NS      host1.tld1.

1               PTR     host3.tld1.

How come? Did I miss something? Or is h2n just no proper tool for this case? I'm using h2n version 2.56

Kind regards

Andreas
--
Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02