Punycode & nslookup

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Sun Dec 6 10:06:27 UTC 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 6:34 AM, JFC Morfin wrote:
> Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> 4 décembre 2009 20:29
>> The reason IDN support in the BIND query tools (dig, host, nslookup) is not the default is because it relies on a 3rd party library, which must be installed and configured by the package builder beforehand. This is just like SSL support, needed for DNSSEC and TSIG, except that most operating systems don't already ship with libidnkit.
>
> Do you know the hook? I am just starting investigating the code, and I have C only as a minor :-)

All I know is what you find in the BIND source code directory. For example, with BIND 9.7.0b2:

$ ./configure --help | grep idn
  --with-idn=MPREFIX      enable IDN support using idnkit default PREFIX
  --with-idnlib=ARG       specify libidnkit

$ less README.idnkit

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice