parent dns answers the ARR of child dns

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Dec 7 23:10:22 UTC 2009

Tech W. wrote:
> [...]
This can't happen as long as the parent nameserver keeps on recursing
queries and then responding with cached answers to those
previously-recursed queries.

This isn't a Microsoft DNS mailing list, and I'm not that familiar with
Microsoft DNS, so about the only advice I can give you is look through
the config and see where to turn off recursion completely. If that's not
possible, because the server also needs to act as a resolver for some
set of clients, then I don't know how such requirements are met, if at
all, by Microsoft DNS. I don't think that product has a "view" feature,
for instance.

Even if Microsoft provides fine-grained control of who can recurse and
who can't, that alone still might not solve your problem, since you can
never control if and when one or more of its "authorized" clients may
look up www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn and then that answer will be cached for
some period of time. You'd also need, at a bare minimum, fine-grained
control over who can query the cache (e.g. something analogous to
allow-query-cache), in order to really pull that off.