managed-keys.bind's directory problem

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 10 14:08:56 UTC 2009

In message <20091210.162242.460114267490885968.fujiwara at pyon.org>, fujiwara at wid
e.ad.jp writes:
> I'm using BIND 9.7.0b3 an DLV (dns-lookaside auto;).
>
> The named tried to write "managed-keys.bind" file into the named's
> working directory.
>
> The current BIND 9 requires the working directory is writable by named
> (From ARM). But I think the working directory should not be writable
> by named and some OSs' default configuration set the working directory
> not writable.

Then those OS's are misconfiguring named.  This has been a requirement
since the BIND 4 days.  It's just named has not complained and there
has been loss of functionality as a result.  On some OS's this is the
only way to get a core file for debugging as there is no way to specify
anything other than the current working directory.

Note there is no requirement for named's config files to be below the
working directory.

../master-files/ or /master-files/ or /var/named/master-files could
all be used instead of ./master-files

The working directory does not have to be /var/named.

> It is usable to avoid named's unknown BUG which may break the working
> directory.
>
> For example, FreeBSD changes the working directory's
> owner/group/permission configured by /etc/mtree/BIND.chroot.dist and
> it sets the working directory not writable by named.
>
> I changed /etc/mtree/BIND.chroot.dist in my FreeBSD box, but I don't
> like this solution.
>
> I'm very happy if I can change the managed-keys.bind path.

We will look into that.