Delegating in reverse lookup zones

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Dec 15 21:28:25 UTC 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <mailman.1304.1260905564.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not a valid delegation unless you control the parent zone.
>>
>> ARIN is delegating the /24 reverse zone to you. You therefore have four
>> options that give control of the PTR records to the midwestfirst.com servers.
>
> A fifth option is to use RFC 2317-style classless delegation for all 256
> entries in the reverse domain:
>
> $GENERATE 0-255 $       IN      CNAME      $.0/24
> 0/24 IN NS ns1.midwestfirst.com.
> 0/24 IN NS ns2.midwestfirst.com.
>
> Then have the customer change the name of their reverse zone to
> 0/24.188.134.63.in-addr.arpa.

That approach was included with my option 3. I prefer the DNAME approach (instead of individual CNAME's) in this case, but that's just my opinion.

I would never recommend following that RFC's pattern of addr/mask (i.e. 0/24 in this case). Use something else, like "mw", as the artificially-added label.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice