Delegating

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Dec 23 23:22:14 UTC 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Bostjan Skufca wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I would like to ask you if anyone can point me to some more information about configuring BIND to delegate a whole "artificial" top level domain to another nameserver.
>
> This far it has been a classical configuration, recursive nameserver for local clients behind the NAT. Now I would like to add a delegation of ".lan" TLD to another nameserver (in the local subnet) which is taken care of by another person. How can one achieve that?
>
> If I create "lan." zone i can only achieve delegation of specific domains listed in this "lan." zone file. This is not perfect, as I would like to delegate whole "lan." TLD zone without specifiying any of it's domains.

Are you sure that delegation is what you want? You describe your server as a recursive server, which implies that it is not authoritative for anything. In that case, rather than delegating, you want to configure the resolver algorithm. The simplest way to do this is with a stub zone:

zone "lan" {
	type stub;
	masters { 192.0.2.1; };
	file "stub_lan";
	forwarders { };
};

Customize to suit - change the IP address in the masters line and possibly change the filename and path. You probably don't want to change anything else in the example above.

Think of a stub zone, used this way, as conceptually similar to a root hints zone, except for some domain other than the root.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice