IPv6 TCP

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Dec 29 03:08:44 UTC 2009

> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:02:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Pamela Rock <prock111 at yahoo.com>

If you tell dig(1) to query an IPv6 address, it has no choice but to
use IPv6, so -6 is unnecessary and -4 is an error. The only reason
for the -4 and -6 options is to force that protocol to be used when a
name is provided and it has both v4 and v6 addresses.

That said, using -6 with an IPv6 address should not cause a problem. It
certainly works fine for me.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)