Bind crashs sometimes

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Dec 30 21:41:32 UTC 2009

Nadir,

If it's crashing, it's not working normally. :)

The advice Matthew gave is the right solution, but let's do some more
digging. Do the following:

/etc/rc.d/named stop
ps -ax | grep named

You may see a syslog line for the logging socket in the chroot
directory but you should not see a named process running. If you DO
see a named process running, something is desperately wrong and you
should paste the results of your ps command so that we can see what's
happening.

Now do this (after making the rc.conf changes that Matthew suggested:

cd /usr/sbin
mv named named-943
/etc/rc.d/named start

If you get any errors, we need to see them. If not, then do this:

rndc status

You should see something like this:

# rndc status
version: 9.6.1-P2