Case For Microsoft DNS v. BIND 9 - Or Best Practices ForCoexisting

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Fri Feb 6 15:11:20 UTC 2009

We also run in a mixed MSDNS/BIND environment.  All of our AD domain
controllers run MSDNS and are authoritative for the AD domain only.  They
forward all non-authoritative requests (all non AD domain queries) to
caching BIND9/Linux servers which also contain slave zones for all of our
internal domains (non AD) to override recursion.  Our BIND environment also
gets a copy of the AD zone so they are also able to resolve the AD domain
requests if necessary.

Our external authoritative infrastructure is entirely BIND.  We do not use
views.  We have separate internal and external (stealth) masters.

Josh