Case For Microsoft DNS v. BIND 9 - Or Best Practices ForCoexisting

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Feb 9 02:57:05 UTC 2009

Vinny Abello wrote:
> [...]
computer accounts in AD. That was my point. If the allow dynamic updates
setting is not set to secure only, anybody that can send a DDNS update
to the server can update a record.

Microsoft's implementation of dynamic DNS requires that the client use
the GSS-TSIG protocol and the prerequisite for that is that the client
system is registered with ADS. After that it makes use of the GUID in
the GSS-TSIG protocol to register the DNS records for the system. If the
system is not registered it cannot use GSS-TSIG.

Danny