Deny query from a single IP

Prabhat Rana prana9533 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 17:43:21 UTC 2009

Thanks Eric. Using blackhole option sounds like feasible option to block a IP address. Instead of using the acl can I just use the option blackhole
blackhole { xx.xx.xx.xx; };

The idea is to user file::tail perl module in a script to tail the stat file continuously and if the condition occurs then pick the source IP address and insert the line
blackhole { xx.xx.xx.xx; };
in the named.conf under options and reload the configuration.

During these attacks we've experienced that named basically hangs because it gets flooded with queries. With the blackhole option the recursion part to internet from such queries can be avoided but we can't avoid the incoming queries from the attacker. So we will need to test this is determine how effective is it.