Using dig for checking domain registration

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jul 1 14:00:45 UTC 2009

In message <44C73F17-B4E9-41F8-BD21-461CA946750D at newgeo.com>, Scott Haneda writ
es:
> On Jun 29, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> >> Though I am not understanding the versions, you were using 9.3.6
> >> and I
> >> am using
> >> DiG 9.6.0-P1-RedHat-9.6.0-2.P1
> >>
> >> Since I am more current than you, I would estimate that the one bug
> >> is
> >> fixed if it is in your version, of course, that is not the case:
> >> dig customtruckgraphics.us NS +trace -4 or -6 @4.2.2.1 +short
> >> dig: can't find IPv6 networking.
> >>
> >> Is this bug is a regression?
> >
> > 	No.  I just used a older version as that is what ships with
> > 	the OS.  I have newer versions installed and I use them
> > 	when I need to.  named is always running a current version.
> >
> >> I am giving it a go to build it on RHEL now, and just pull dig out.
> >> Thanks for any other help.
>

> Mark, thanks again, I think one last set of questions...
> If I use the method of
> 	Alternatively do "dig ns parent.zone", then
> 	"dig +norec ns child.zone @parent-server".
>
> When I get the parent.zone, I will get back all the NS's for the
> parent.  Is it correct, in order to not have this be an an issue when
> I use @parent-server, I need to make sure that @parent-server also
> does not return IPv6?  So just look for A's, and ignore AAAA's ?

	It will only be a problem w/ a IPv6 only server as the
	lookups will fail.  They could fail anyway for IPv4 so you
	should be prepared to try other servers.

> Would this only tide me over until IPv4 is no longer user, or will
> there always be an IPv4 address moving forward?

	IPv4 will be around for a long time.  You should however
	be gettting IPv6 connectivity now.  If your upstreams don't
	provide it use a tunnel service like Hurricane Electrics'
	tunnelbroker.net service.  I've used it at home for the
	last 5 years.  It won't be long until there are some sites
	you can only reach over IPv6.

> I would like to simply build dig with a working version; you used
> 9.3.6-P1.  I downloaded 9.3.6-P1, ran configure and make, which built
> out dig on OS X 10.5.

	I used a old version because I didn't need the bug fixed
	version to demonstrate how to work around your issue.

	Build BIND 9.6.1 without using libtool.  You should then
	be able to just install dig.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC