rDNS Round-Robin

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jul 6 23:08:07 UTC 2009

Bryan Irvine wrote:
> Other than to really annoy me;  is there a valid reason for rr rDNS?

Once upon a time, BIND specifically *disabled* round-robin behavior for
non-address (A/AAAA) record types. PTR RRsets, among other types, were
always given in a "fixed" order.

But, I just tried a quick test, and it appears that round-robin has been
re-enabled for PTRs. Accident? I have no idea why anyone would want this
behavior, except perhaps to deliberately make things annoying and the
query results inconsistent, in the hopes that people will prevent the
creation of round-robin PTRs in the first place.

By the way, as a personal preference, I hate the term "rDNS". Sounds
like a whole different protocol, much as "rwhois" is a different
protocol from the original "whois". But this is misleading, since it's
merely a different way (special naming convention and a semi-special
QTYPE) of using the *same* protocol.