clearing local caches

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jul 14 18:23:32 UTC 2009

Hello, this may not entirely be related to BIND/named, though I
believe it is.

I am working on a set of benchmarks to test the resolving speed of
different recursive DNS providers.  My plan is call an http resource,
and see how long it takes to resolve that host, as well as all
embedded hosts and redirects within the html.

After the initial test, I will want to call the same resource, with a
different resolver.  What is the most reliable way to clear any caches
I would have picked up from the first request?  I suspect I should
call it 2x, so the remote resolver can cache the request, and provide
those results as well?

Currently, I was planing on using a browser, and timing the page
request from start to stop with javascript.  I am not entirely in love
with this idea for obvious reasons.

Can anyone suggest a better method?  I could grep out the url's from
an ad heavy url, and curl each of those, making a cumulative time
result.  However, I would like to just get DNS response times.

Perhaps take the list of hosts and feed them to a iterative script
calling dig, and fish out the response time?  This does add the
problem of redirects of course would not be followed, so I would have
to pre-fetch all my urls and follow them to get my testing list.

Thanks for any suggestions.