Bind9.5.1 under no Root Name Servers

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 17 13:19:54 UTC 2009

What does bind9.5.1 do when there is an Internet issue and we
loose all root name servers?

	The bind9.3.x we had been running always began producing
tons of lines saying that there were no more recursive clients. I
had written a program that looked for the time stamp when the
mess starts and then for the time stamp of the last distress
call and we called that an outage since bind certainly wasn't
happy.

	We had a very brief outage on the day we switched to
bind9.5.1 and I saw nothing remarkable in the named.log file
during the period where we lost all roots. Either bind9.5.1
doesn't produce this message or the hit just didn't last long
enough for all the recursive slots to fill up.

	We do allow recursion from within our network but
disallow it for 3RD parties.

	Bind is an excellent place to take the pulse of one's
whole network since it is so closely tied to everything else.

	Here is an actual example of the message we look for:

08-Jul-2009 08:38:20.296 client 139.78.102.224#53631:
 no more recursive clients: quota reached

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer